Saturday, October 31, 2015


WHAT’S WITH THE NAME?!

Since I started using the “name” above on my name card and PowerPoint presentations, quite a few people had asked me about the alphabets before and after.  What do they mean?  What do they stand for?  Are these typo errors?  Hahaha!

As many of us may know, doctors use “Dr.”, engineers use “Ir.”, and architects use “Ar.”.  My “Or.” is for ordinary!  And, “DhD” means Don’t have Degree!  I have deliberately chosen these alphabets base on Acts 4:13, which reads:

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, not well educated, laymen with no special training… or formal education; they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.
Synthesized Version (NIV+MSG+CEV)

No, I do not despise academic pursuit.  No, I am not ridiculing titles.  Make no mistakes.  I have gone to university as a young man to study architecture (and I proud of this), and currently I am working on my Master in Ministry (and I am enjoying this).  I am also an ordained Presbyterian Elder, a Licensed Minister with the Assemblies of God, and an Associate Pastor with a local Evangelical Free Church.  I am humbled by all these credentials.  I am touched by the wide acceptance and wonderful opportunities to serve the larger Body of Christ.  I am grateful to God!  Praise His Name!

But above all, in the contexts of Act 4:13, my desire is to be taught by the Holy Spirit.  My wish is that people would simply take note of me as one who had been with Jesus.

And of course, such a peculiar name is quite a good conversation starter too…  Hahaha!


2 comments:

  1. I have MDiv and now pursue MTheo. I have lots of degrees. I hate preparing sermon because I have to make sure the bible translations are presented faithfully as what presented by Hebrew or Greek. Otherwise, I have to crack my head and change it and explain it to the congregation in a simple words about the change. Yet, I'm nothing. No ordination credential, no titles, only part time youth worker. Yet some people don't like the faithful presentation of sermon as reflected on the bible.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chee Keat for the comments above, as well as the comments on FB recently...

      As per my little article here, you would note that there are no negative implications on Theological Studies... So, no issues, right :)

      Keep well, stay faithful... We must yum char again lah...

      Delete